Friday 15 April 2011

Starchild and Witchfire

Title: Starchild and Witchfire
Author: David Henshall

Ratings

Score: 10/10


Review

Starchild and Witchfire is one of the earliest books I remember reading, except perhaps the gingerbread man, and I still enjoy it today. It's a kid's book, and so naturally the main characters are children, a boy and his sister, who get caught up in a quest to save a world that is apart from their, and our, own.


From a kid's point of view it has everything. Magic, dragons, a little romance and a huge battle. For an adult, it has perhaps a bit less, and the romance isn't as explored as in more adult books. But let's face it, who needs romance anyway, it just gives boys cooties.

Joking aside though, I find that once I pick this up, it's impossible to put back down, despite the simpler writing style than the majority of books I read, it managed to suck me in even the tenth, twentieth time I read it. It's that addictive. And since it's a kids book, it doesn't take long to read either, so is perfect for short train or bus journeys.

My brother agrees. In fact, when I bought it secondhand recently, he went on eBay and got one himself. Despite the fact we live together. I would say that's possibly the greatest thing I can say here:

Starchild and Witchfire; too good to share.


More Information

Main Protagonist(s): Mixed. Primarily a Boy and a Girl
Main Antagonist(s): Mixed.
Main Relationships: Heterosexual
Genre: Fantasy, Children's
Brief Synopsis:

When it snows in midsummer and a strange flying lizard appears at the window, Fern and Jamie know that old powers of magic are at work. A distant people need their help if they are to survive the forces of evil.  
-Amazon

ISBN: 978-0330319850

Amazon Link: UK | US (Seems to be only available second hand, unfortunately)
Pages: 240
First Published: 23 Nov 1990
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books

No comments:

Post a Comment