Friday 6 May 2011

Marked (Soul Guardians - Book One)

Marked: Soul Guardians Book 1 (Volume 1)Title: Marked
Author: Kim Richardson
Series: Soul Guardians Trilogy

Succeeded By: Tricked (Not Yet Published)

Ratings

Score: 9/10
How likely I am to read the next in the Series: I'm looking forwards to it.

Review

This is possibly the hardest review I've had to write. Not because the book was bad, in fact I was rather impressed by it. No, the reason that it's been hard to review is that it's closest book I've come to on this blog that could be classed as "chick-lit". It's unfamiliar territory for me.

But don't let this stop you from reading it! The majority of my blog's readers are male, but I would still say that they should consider this book. Especially if they are looking for a light, easy read.

But it doesn't matter how hard I found it to write the review, what matter is the book itself. I really did enjoy it, and the thing that stood out most was the afterlife. Apart from the fact that it was staffed by various primates, it was such an imaginative place that was really uplifting to read about. (And kind of made me jealous that I wasn't there...). It's interesting to think of heaven as a kind of office (albeit an odd office) where angels administer the world's affairs. I really enjoyed the scenes set in this Angel-Office, called Horizon, although it was interesting to note that while it was referred to by the names of various paradises - Heaven was not one of them.

With all books there a few things that I think could have been done differently, and I would say that I thought the beginning is a little too fast. The main character dies straight away, which is fine - the book is about her death, not her life - but then gets to work as a GA almost immediately. I felt that she should have had training before going out on a mission.

But Overall I found the book to be an enjoyable read, an easy read - it wasn't hard to follow, and a unique read. The plot, which I haven't spoken about much here, for fear of revealing too much, was interesting, and well-written. In an recent interview to promote my blog I stated that the best books are the ones that I'm disappointed to finish reading, and this one of those. The price of the eBook on amazon is currently £0.70/$1.14 (UK/US), and to be frank, I think that it's worth more than that. Actually, despite finding eBooks difficult to read, and despite being given a paperback version to review, I payed the 70 pence for the kindle version because I think the book is more than worth that. I find that I'm quite likely to read it again, and that I look forwards to the sequel.

More Information

Main Protagonist(s): 1 Female, and a less important Male
Main Antagonist(s): 1 Male
Main Relationships: Hints at Heterosexual.
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Feminine Fantasy.
Brief Synopsis:

Sixteen year-old Kara Nightingale’s ordinary life is suddenly turned upside-down when she dies in a freak accident, and she wakes up in a strange new world with a new career—as a rookie for the Guardian Angel Legion. Kara hurtles towards dangerous missions with the help of her Petty Officer and friend, David. But when things turn from bad to worse, Kara becomes the Legion’s only hope.

It’s going to take a miracle to save the Legion, and Kara’s luck has just run out...
 
-Back of Book

ISBN: 978-1461017097
Website: http://kim-richardson.blogspot.com/
Amazon Link: UK | US
Pages: 280
Published: April 2011
Publisher: None- Indie Writer

1 comment:

  1. Great Review Adam!

    Thanks again :)

    Kim
    http://kim-richardson.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete